Do You Have What it Takes?
If you are friendly, driven, and want to make the most out of every day, consider applying for a position at Cabrio Taxi. We are looking for a select few pedicab drivers to work with our company. We pride ourselves on hosting the best pedicab operators in the nation and our drivers often say that pedicabbing is the best job they’ve ever had.
Our pedicabbers are gregarious, fit, independent, and locally informed. You should feel comfortable initiating conversations with people on the street as well as be able to entertain people on your pedicab while you bring them to their destination.
- Valid California Driver's License
- At least 21 years of age
- License and permits
- Successful completion of our pedicab training program
- A valid pedicab permit from the San Francisco Police Department
Know the process
Pedicab operators are self-employed and independently licensed. This means that to become a pedicab operator in San Francisco, you will have to obtain a pedicab operators license on your own. This involves credentialing, paperwork, and a few trips to state and city municipal institutions (DMV & SFPD). For your convenience, we've broken the process up into two stages. Please be familiar with this process before you apply to ride with us.
Phase 1: Prepare
- You’ll must have a California state driver’s license.
- Pick up your 3-year driving record at a local DMV. The SFPD requires that the printout comes from the DMV. SFPD will not accept printouts from the DMV website.
- Obtain two passport sized photos.
- Contact Cabrio Taxi for an interview at email@example.com.
- Bring in the above materials.
Phase II: Obtain your San Francisco Pedicab Operator's permit
Important note: this will cost ~$400.
- Withdraw a money order from your bank or post office for $296.
- Fill out the SFPD Pedicab Operator Application Form .
- Bring the above to the San Francisco Police Department permit office on 850 Bryant Street and pass the SFPD pedicabber test. Here's the Study Guide.
- When notified, go to your scheduled SFPD Permit Hearing on Wednesday at 1pm. The PD will mail you a postcard notifying you of the date in advance of your hearing.
- Go to the Tax Collector at City Hall prepared to pay around $60 (bring cash, they don’t take credit cards or checks).
- While you're there, register as a self-employed business of the City of San Francisco for $25. Here's the form.
If you feel comfortable that you understand the process, please tell us about yourself. We're looking forward to meeting you.